Information for Ōtautahi (Christchurch)
Can I get a mentor for my child?
If they are aged between 6 and 12 years who:
- Lives in the Christchurch City region
- Would benefit from a consistent positive adult relationship
- Has minimal involvement from other agencies
- Has a parent or caregiver that will support the mentoring and will ensure they are contactable to follow up with to see how things are going
- Would not raise safety concerns for our Mentors eg: with behaviours or complex mental health diagnoses, as they are everyday people and not trained in these areas
- Is able to make weekly outings with a mentor
How long will it take to get a mentor for my child?
There is sadly no guarantee that any child will have a mentor because we are dependent on the availability of volunteer mentors and funding (that said, there is no cost to parents for their child to have a mentor). Parents can wait just a few months to hear from the team. Unfortunately some have to wait much longer due to the shortage of volunteers or factors that make the child a little harder to match.
Who will be mentoring my child?
The volunteers generously offer their time to your young person for a period of one year. Aged from 18 up, they come from all walks of life, They must complete a screening process, including police checks, and training before being matched with a young person.